Statement issued by the Constituent Council for The Federal System in Rojava/Northern Syria
To the Syrian, regional, and global public
In response to the appeal made by the General Coordination of Democratic Self-Administration Areas (Al Jazira, Kobane and Afrin), all components of political forces, parties, and social actors in the cantons of Rojava and the areas liberated from terrorist forces held a meeting resulting in a comprehensive political vision for a Syrian resolution and an agreement on the management system for Rojava/Northern Syria. This can serve as a model for the rest of Syria, providing a solution for the whole Syrian crisis. We, the representatives of these areas, met during 16th and 17th March 2016. Remembering with appreciation and respect the martyrs of our people, who wrote with their blood the greatest historical heroic resistance, and made courageous sacrifices. Our martyrs have brought our people to the milestone that they are at today. This aforementioned meeting resulted in the following decisions.
- A future Syria is for all Syrians and this is what the democratic federal system is achieving at the base of all social components.
- To work on establishing a democratic federal system for Rojava/Northern Syria.
- The co-presidents were elected by the Council and are supported by 31 members.
- The organizing committee was assigned to prepare a social contract and a comprehensive political and legal vision for this system within a period not exceeding six months.
- The transitional justice institution that embodies the democratic federal system for Rojava/Northern Syria will be issued by the founding council, which is considered as an interim administration, pending general elections under the supervision and control of the United Nations.
- Women’s freedom is an essence of the federal democratic system. Women have the right to equal participation and in decision-related responsibilities in relation to female issues. Women will be represented as equals in all spheres of life, including all social and political aspects.
- The people and communities living in the federal system in Rojava/Northern Syria can develop their political, economic, social, cultural, and democratic relations with whom they see fit, or share their beliefs and culture with the people and communities on a regional and international level, provided that this relationship does not interfere with the objectives and interests of the federal democratic system.
- The regions liberated by democratic forces from terrorist organisations shall become a part of the federal democratic system of Rojava-Northern Syria in an appropriate way.
- The democratic federal system in Rojava/Northern Syria’s goal, on the regional level, is to achieve a democratic union in the Middle East as well as democratic progress between all people who live in the Middle East, in all fields such as political, economic, cultural and social. If we cut through the national borders of the state, we can live in peace and security with one another.
- The realization of a federal and democratic system shall take place within a sovereign Syria.
To all people in Syria, Kurdistan and Rojava, groups and all social classes
We are living today in a historical phase and critical circumstances. Today, Syria is in the worst tragedy in its history. Millions have been displaced and hundreds of thousands of people have been killed, not to mention the immense damage that the infrastructure of Syria has suffered. In spite of this we are witnessing an advanced experience in Rojava, which is protected by the blood of martyrs and devoted successes of all. Great gains have been achieved in this period. This is a real opportunity to build a federal democratic system. We are sure and confident that this will be a model for a solution to the Syrian crisis.
Depending on the basis of the decisions which we have taken, we call at the beginning the women, who represent a new and free life, as well as young people, communities, workers and all other social sectors. We call them to join this federal system and organize and establish democratic federal systems and we call all progressive human and democratic forces to support our efforts.
Long live our people’s determination, their coexistence, and their unity.
Founders Council of the Federal Democratic Union of Rojava/Northern Syria
17th March 2016