Below we reproduce a press release on new information about the murders of Sakine, Leyla and Fidan in January last year:
KCD-E (The Kurdish Democratic Society Congress in Europe,
Press Release 13.01. 2013
‘Confessions of a Murderer’
A recording that was leaked on the 12th of January 2014 – exactly a year after the murders – has provided the public with new information about how and by whom the Paris murders were planned.
In the recording Omer Guney, currently the only suspect and in French custody, clearly states that he was working in conjunction with the Turkish state and that it was he who planned and carried out the attack. It is clear from the recording that Omer Guney and Turkish state officials had been planning not just one attack but several attacks on various targets.
From the start, Kurdish political organisations insisted that this incident was a carefully planned professional attack backed by the Turkish state. Despite the fact that the French authorities never released any information to the public, these political murders can be traced back to Ankara.
The uncovering of every aspect of the Paris murders will at the same time force Turkey to face its past and its present. The revelation of the truth concerning the murders of Sakine Cansiz, Fidan Dogan and Leyla Saylemez will no doubt influence in a positive way the progress of the peace process and contribute towards the democratisation of Turkey.
With this latest development, French President Francois Hollande’s planned visit to Turkey this month has taken on far more significance. The Kurdish people’s expectation is for M. Hollande to give priority to the Paris murders and to request from the Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan the file that he possesses regarding the murders.
What needs to be done now is abundantly clear. Who are the state officials in the recording that were carefully planning the murders with Omer Guney? Our demands are these:
· French officials must make a detailed statement regarding the investigation.
· Omer Guney clearly states that he was able to obtain the weapons he used in the attacks from Belgium. Belgian officials must investigate from which source Omer Guney was able to obtain the weapons.
· In order for French officials to solve the murder they must concentrate on the Turkish state as suspects. National and international law must be made full use of to achieve this.
· Due to the fact that the murders were carried out in a European state, the EU holds a certain degree of responsibility. The EU and its member states must supply French officials with any information that may help in the investigation.
· Human rights organisations, democratic forces and the international media must exert pressure on the necessary institutions to uncover the truth about the murders.